Ever wanted to eat delicious Italian type food without having to go through the trouble of getting dressed up to go to one of those expensive Italian restaurants?
Sometimes you really crave a good dinner night out with your friends or your date, but you’re just simply not in the mood to leave your house or make reservations…or even drive, for that matter. And the mere fact of knowing that it’ll create a dent in your wallet sort of discourages you all at the same time. But not anymore! Here’s a super simple Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo recipe that can be whipped up in a matter of thirty minutes. It brings a touch of Rome, Italy into your home. So say goodbye to the hassles of eating out, and say a heaping thank you to Anya Ayoung Chee and HOME Café’s very own head Chef, Brigette Joseph, for saving you all that hassle – and money of course – with her easy to make Italian pasta recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need to get started (nb. this recipe serves two):
- 1 Pack of Linguini
- 2 Chicken Breast (Seasoned or Non-seasoned – Optional)
- 1½ cups of Chopped Mushrooms
- Carton of Heavy Cream
- Basil Oil (Basil and Olive Oil puréed)
- Black Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
- Boil Pasta for 7 minutes in a pot of salted water. No less than 2 tbsp. of salt for each cup of water. Add a dash of olive oil to avoid clumping.
- After 7 minutes has passed, use a fork or pair of thongs and pull out a strand of linguini to test. Pasta should be soft, but still a bit firm (al dente).
- Drain pasta in the sink and let it sit for a few minutes until all the water is out.
- In the meantime, take a sharp knife and carefully cut up your chicken breasts into strips and season.
- Place a frying pan on the stove and add in about 4 tbsp. of your basil oil. Be sure not to have the pan too hot so the oil doesn’t burn.
- Add in your chicken and let it cook for about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Then, add in your mushrooms for a nice minute sauté and give it a good toss to make sure everything gets covered in the basil oil and cooked.
- When that’s done; add 10 oz. of heavy cream to the pan and stir until it creates a rich sauce. Let cream come to a boil.
- Add 12 oz. of parmesan cheese.
- Add in pasta and stir around until everything creates a nice marriage and is covered in the creamy, Alfredo sauce.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- After about 5 minutes, turn off fire, remove pan from the stove, and plate it.
- Garnish with some chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Grab a fork and enjoy!
Now simply follow these fast and simple steps, and bring a touch of an Italian restaurant into your own kitchen. And, hey, you could even add ‘cooking Italian food’ to the list of things you can do. So invite your date or some friends over and impress them with a fancy Basil Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo, courtesy chef Brigette, and knock their socks off.
And don’t forget to stop by HOME Café at #6 Scott Street, St. Clair, to try this special – and many more on their menu – from the very own Chef Bridgette Joseph herself. Tell her we sent you there!